The aggressive horn starts off in the distance, and I can’t help but look at my desk clock. The sound comes closer, and I pack my bag. The doppler’d noise goes off into the distance, and I’m getting into a cab, eagerly waiting for my own train to whisk me back to the city.
It’s a process that I neither hate nor love, but helps me mark the time nonetheless.
This week’s been a doozy, what with rain, ebola scares and terrible commutes, it’s all a guy can do to hold out until Friday. Since Monday, I’ve been expecting that train to remind me to go home, perking up to the sound, only to be roundly disappointed because I remembered yet another thing I had to do once I got back to the city. Another event, another friend to hang out with.
But now it’s Friday. Though I’ll be bartending tomorrow, I also have a relaxing weekend of adventures planned. I’m looking forward to head up to Beacon for art and Doctor Who-themed eating on Sunday, and then of course, Saturday is gonna be cray: I’M JUDGING A PUPPY COSTUME CONTEST. Let that sink in.
As I wait for the train to sound off and tell me to go home, I’m gonna practice for my role of a lifetime with a trip down the Buzzfeed hole. Have a great weekend!
The Reading List
- I’ve been getting pretty good with my new camera, but there’s more to learn. I really appreciate the insight from these veteran photographers.
- Uber-influential MAD Symposium is moving to NYC and they’re looking for a few good eggs.
- Halloween is coming up, which is basically the worst holiday (I see you, Iggy Azalea-wannabes), but Ikea Singapore did something kinda neat.
- So, this is a great list of incredibly common cliches, turns-of-phrase and words to avoid in food writing (whether blogs, magazines etc.). It’s a nice addition to Eater’s own banned list. Now to figure out what tics and tropes I need to retire…
- A former-Chicagoan and frequenter of Smallbar on Division St., I was sad to hear of its closing. Good Beer Hunting, though, got this great interview with owner Phil McFarland. They cover the last decade’s craft beer boom, maintaining a food-and-drink business over the course of 10 years and adjusting to neighborhood demographics as a small business owner. Really good stuff.
- Bust out your sexy-as-hell pumpkins, y’all. It’s decorative gourd season.
- I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say this racist tour guide is most definitely an asshole.
- While we’re on the subject of assholes, there’s this person.
- Iceland’s budget airline, WOW Air, will be flying out of Boston and Washington, D.C starting in 2015, which means MAD CHEAP deals to Iceland (and even London!). You best believe I’ll be on that first plane outta Dodge.
- Typewriter photo by Florian Klauer